Monday, June 27, 2011

David Amram @ 80

David Amram is often tagged with the title "musician's musician" and there's good reason for that."Once musicians work together, there's a bond for life," said David recently when I caught up with him on the final day of the 2011 Kerrville Folk Festival. I first made music with David back in the early 1970s and his statement surely holds true with my experience. Although I cross paths with David infrequently these days, each time is like old friends coming together again. There truly is that bond for life.

One of the most creative people I know, David is ever practicing his motto of "No More Walls". He's equally at home with classical musicians, folk musicians, jazz musicians and folkloric musicians. I was fortunate to have my little flip video recorder in hand when David began spinning this rap celebrating the 40th anniversary of the Kerrville Folk Festival (KFF). A few hours later, David would take this improvisation onstage for the final evening of KFF 2011. David, now 80 years old, is joined by two of Texas' important singer-songwriters, Bob Livingston and Butch Hancock, as well as yodeler Hartley Hall.

submitted by James Baker

No comments: