Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Music for the holidays

This is the time of year that you hear Christmas music whereever you go...I recently waited in line at the post office and heard carol after carol! Having worked in a retail music store in college, played the violin over 30 years, and worked in radio for over 15 years, I usually cringe at the thought of holiday music. I'm not a Grinch, but it takes alot to hear the same tunes over and over and over.

I do have a favorite album of Christmas songs though! I find it inventive and uplifting. The harmonies, orchestrations and performance is outstanding. It's called "A Christmas Treasure" with Julie Andrews and Andre Previn. The most recent incarnation for mp3 and cd is known as "Greatest Christmas Songs" with Julie Andrews and Andre Previn (that also has three pop songs).


These don't grow old, and make me smile. Not sure exactly, but it seems to me that in 1966 when they were recorded (43 years ago!) that both Previn and Andrews were in their prime. It definitely shows. You can hear selections on the links above, happy holidays!


Be sure to check out TPR staff selections for "Simple Gifts" here.
- KPAC Afternoon/Classical Spotlight Host John Clare

No comments: