The Cleveland Orchestra was having labor problems, and will continue their season! From the NY Times: The strike at the Cleveland Orchestra appears to be over. The players and management said Tuesday morning that a tentative agreement had been reached after a marathon bargaining session that began at noon on Monday and ended shortly before 6:30 a.m. Tuesday. The agreement requires ratification by the musicians and the orchestra’s board, and that is expected today, giving the orchestra enough time to move forward with a scheduled trip to Miami for a series of concerts and educational events. It is due to leave on Thursday. No details were released, but the issues centered on pay: the players offered a freeze on salary this year and management asked for a 5 percent cut, restoration next year and 2.5 percent raise the following year.
It was the first strike at the orchestra in 30 years, however brief. The orchestra was forced to cancel some events in a two-day visit to Indiana University scheduled to start Tuesday, and it was unclear how much of its slate of teaching, coaching and performing would take place there. Indiana University said that at least two events would take place: Franz Welser-Most, the orchestra’s music director, would go to Bloomington to conduct the Indiana University Philharmonic and Gary Ginstling, the general manager, would lead an arts administration seminar.